Youth involved in Morrin 2017 homicide given one-year probation

Written by Terri Huxley

The Drumheller Courthouse on Fri. April 23 bared witness to the conclusion of one chapter in the Morrin murder that took place in 2017.

A trial of the youth involved ended with Honourable R.J. Hall handing the now 20-year-old a one-year probation with various conditions including the prohibition of weapons for two years.

Recently, an update was given saying the youth will be completing her high school studies remotely and has been said to be doing well in therapy as described in three reference letters from psychologists and a teacher.

She has been under house arrest for 589 days and found to not break any rules laid out.

The crown prosecution had pushed for two-years probation but the judge determined that 589 days completed already allowed for one-year to be appropriate instead.

The youth will not be identified as this information is under a publication ban and is not allowed under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

The youth was charged with Conspiracy to Commit Murder which she plead guilty to on Jan. 8, 2021.

The judge agreed it was an ‘egregious’ crime that was committed.

Fazal Rehman became a victim at the hands of Dylan Howard who was sentenced to life in prison in 2019 after pleading guilty to First Degree Murder.

Rehman died on Oct. 16, 2017 due to the gunshot wounds and stabbing caused by Howard, both acts of which were determined to be fatal after examination.

Agreed statement of facts

Victim impact statements were submitted by family which were read out at the youth’s trial on April 23.

Judge Hall read out the agreed statement of facts which included the difficult upbringing the youth endured.

This included continual sexual abuse by her biological father.

He was previously convicted and sentenced to the penitentiary for these significant crimes against her.

The relationship between her and her mother and step-father was described in the agreed statement of facts as dysfunctional.

By the summer of 2017, she had developed a drug addiction to mostly methamphetamine but also used cocaine, cannabis and other illicit drugs.

Also during this time, the youth started a sexual relationship with Howard who was 20-years-old at the time while she was 15.

They then met with Rehman on many occasions over a period of several weeks to exchange guns for methamphetamine and cocaine.

It is said on at least one occasion Rehman provided the youth with additional drugs in exchange for sexual services from her. He was 36-years-old.

“All sexual activities between him [and her] were significant sexual assaults perpetrated on her. At the time [she] did not understand the distinction between the term ‘rape’ and forced oral sex,” noted the statement.

“[She] was extremely upset about being sexually assaulted by Rehman. She told some people that he had raped her and told others he forced her to perform oral sex on him.”

Her use of meth increased as a result of this as did her relationship with Howard.

This was when the pair began speaking about killing Rehman as revenge for the sexual assaults.

On Sept. 29, 2017, the youth was at her family home. Her mother and step-father found a large amount of methamphetamine on her.

An argument broke out between them. From this, she flushed the drugs down the toilet and stated the words to the effect that she would “have to kill my dealer” as she owed Rehamn money for the drugs.

From that point, the youth lived at Howard’s house.

Planned murder

It was decided on October 15 that the pair would lure Rehman out to Morrin under the guise of their usual exchange of guns for drugs.

At about 6:30 a.m. the next day, she and Howard entered her family home where she stole her mother’s 7mm Remington hunting rifle, an ammunition clip and two bullets.

They also acquired a knife and a container of flammable substance believed to be a mixture of gasoline and diesel fuel which was later used to set Rehman’s body and the vehicle on fire.

They then drove to the meeting spot south of Morrin on Range Road 20-3.

Rehmann was effectively murdered by the stabbing and gunshot wounds.

The youth was present at the scene of the homicide but did not actively participate in the acts, she remained in Howard’s vehicle.


The first 911 call came in at 7:58 a.m. where the situation was determined to be a homicide.

On Oct. 26, 2017, the pair were arrested near Beiseker.

The youth was released after being charged for theft under $5,000 for this incident after two days of detainment.

Five days later, she and her mother went to Morrin School to see if she could return to school. She then spoke with one of her teachers about the murder and how Rehman had raped her.

On Nov. 2, her mother called RCMP to make a statement.

They attended the Airdrie Detachment where an interview was conducted with Constable Wilkinson.

She was released without charge at this time.

By February 2018, her drug addiction had continued to increase.

A Protection of Children Abusing Drugs (PChAD) Order was granted to authorize police to arrest her and take her to a secure drug treatment facility in Calgary which was extended into early March.

The youth was arrested on June 5, 2018 and was ordered released on Sept. 13, 2019.


Terri Huxley
ECA Review

About the author

Terri Huxley

Terri grew up on a grain farm near Drumheller, Alberta with an eye for the beautiful and uncharted. Living in such a unique and diverse area has helped her become the photographer and reporter she is today.

Coming from the East Central region getting this newspaper on her dinner table growing up, it helped her understand the community she now serves.

In May 2019, Terri was awarded Alberta Weekly Newspaper Association (AWNA) Canada's Energy Citizens Photographic Awards Sports Action – First Place as well as first for the same sports action image nationally with the Canadian Community Newspaper Association (CCNA). Fast forward to 2020, she has won second in the same category for the AWNA.