Dear Mayor M’Liss Edwards, Municipal Government, Appointed Councillor, Village of Morrin
Referencing: Bank Reconciliation motions of Morrin council and other concerns.
The following is the history of council’s attempts to have Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) Plachner provide them with relevant budgetary information so the village council and residents have an idea of where we stand financially:
• April 17, 2019 at the regular council meeting. Council requested bank statements and reconciliations quarterly – not completed.
• Nov. 20, 2019 at the regular council meeting. A reminder to the CAO for quarterly bank reconciliation – Not completed.
• Jan. 15, 2020 at the regular council meeting a request for the CAO to prepare statement as per sample to reflect Village of Morrin accounts quarterly to council in April 2020 – not completed.
• Feb. 19, 2020 at the regular council meeting Mayor Helton motioned that the CAO provide council with updated financial information to contain actuals versus budget, bank reconciliation (listing all accounts) and Statement of Financial position.
• The reports to be presented to council on March 18, 2020, – not completed;
• June 17, 2020, – not completed;
• Sept. 16, 2020 – not completed;
• and Nov. 18, 2020 with the statement of Financial position for 2020 as of Dec. 31, 2019 on Dec. 16, 2020 – motion carried.
On the Nov. 9, 2020, I requested a copy of the October Bank Reconciliation and CAO Plachner has not responded.
Does this mean we can no longer expect our CAO to respond to residents as Mayor Helton is not present to insist on responses?
I would recommend that council take appropriate action to have CAO Plachner complete the tasks assigned to her with a completion date.
According to the general job description of all CAO’s according to the Municipal Affairs Act (MGA) is that CAO’s must comply with the direction council has assigned to them.
Councils directions are not suggestions.
If the work assigned to CAO Plachner is not completed for the Nov. 18, 2020 meeting as per councils direction, this will be seven times that council has been ignored on this one issue alone.
There is the ongoing concern of Stephen and Virginia Howard sewer repair. When will this be completed?
Stan and Wanda Hampton’s camera results. Is the sewer problem on the village side of the property line?
Have the Hampton’s been notified of the results and when can they can expect action from the Village?
What are the results of the 2nd Avenue North sewer lateral camera results?
Have residents been notified of concerns observed and what action the village will be taking to correct problems noted on the village side of the property line?
I would like to know if council will insist that the CAO take her annual leave so we won’t be paying the CAO for annual leave not taken? The village can’t afford double dipping when there are so many other important projects that will need the funding and considering the tax collection rate on the last audit was only 68 per cent.
Please bring this forward for discussion at the Nov. 18, 2020 council meeting.
I look forward to hearing the discussion surrounding these issues on Nov. 18. 2020 Morrin council meeting.