On Mon. July 13, council heard the news of Coun. Vickey Horkoff’s decision to leave council.
She noted in her letter that it was because of personal reasons and she had much enjoyed her time on council.
“It has been a pleasure being a part of the Town of Coronation council. I am so proud of all we have accomplished and I have no doubt council will continue these successes in the future,” stated Horkoff’s letter.
Council accepted the letter and her resignation.
With the next municipal election season approaching in under 15 months, the Municipal Government Act (MGA) states a community can forego a by-election which Coronation council agreed to do as well, solidifying it with a motion that became passed.
The MGA also allows council to bypass the by-election as it says ‘In the 12 months before a general election and the number of councillors remaining is at least one more than the majority of the number of councillors comprising the council under section 143.’
Councillors also divied up her duties and positions on various committees amongst themselves to cover those spots.
The owner of Scotcan Energy Inc., Rachel Wilson reached out to the town in regards to possibly getting permission to use the lot located south of the old Char’s building at 4802 Royal Street Lot; 1 Block; 3-2 Plan; 8149AH as part of diversifying their services.
“This lot has been empty for quite some time and would also serve as a prime location along Main Street without impeding parking or traffic,” she stated in her letter to the town and councillors.
They plan on having their food trucks sit there a few days a week where they would provide breakfast and supper.
Coun. Shelley Cook asked if there would be any liability for the town in doing this.
Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) Quinton Flint said they could treat the situation as a rental property where they use the space at their own risk and would be liable for clean up.
Coun. Ron Checkel mentioned the Hutterite fruit truck to which the CAO said they have only ever required a business license from them.
A motion was made by Coun. Cook to require Scotcan Energy Inc. to obtain a business license and ensure she has her own liability insurance.
Museum caboose repairs
Damage to the local museum’s caboose by high winds and heavy rain has been brought to council’s attention.
For now, they accepted this issue as information with intent to have it brought back at a later time.
Since it is a historical site, it must be treated as such meaning the right contractors with the right certifications for restoration are needed to be retained.
CAO Flint said the Town of Hanna was also having issues with finding people as the right qualifications are hard to find.
Staff are planning to look at several historical grants that can cover the repairs.
Some range from $10,000 or more depending on the severity of the project while the town has also stashed away some money in the budget that can be used if need be as well.
PRMS grant application
Palliser Regional Municipal Services (PRMS) and several other communities are currently applying for an Asset Management Grant being offered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM).
Coronation is able to apply for up to $50,000 for asset management development and training but in order to participate, they are required to have a letter of support from council as well as a motion of the grant application to FCM for the money.
This grant allows the municipality to pay for staff training on asset management programming including regional web map management, module licensing and training, data conversion, document scanning to the web map, data collection and assessment.
It can be stacked with Gas Tax, however, this year’s portion of Coronation’s Gas Tax funding has already been allocated to another project.
The FCM grant opportunity is based on population with Coronation falling into the 1,000 or less in population category.
The FCM would pay 90 per cent of the grant with the remaining 10 per cent left to the municipality which means Coronation would need to pay $5,000 to receive the $50,000.
“Palliser Regional Municipal Services has basically taken this on as one of their projects taking it off of our hands so us municipalities don’t have to deal with the GIS (Geographic Information System) portion of things,” said CAO Flint.
The CAO also noted additional equipment would have to be purchased including a tablet and GIS locator.
The two pieces of equipment cost about $5,500 depending on what type they choose to go with.
They will be submitting alongside communities like Hanna, Oyen, Consort, Special Areas, Drumheller and more.
“What we are trying to do is say to FCM is that we as a large region want this grant. We need this grant and we each need this $50,000 per community to get these services to our staff and our residents as well.”
Palliser has already filled in the application but was looking for a motion from all participating municipalities to send off.